Dear future son,
Here are a few rules to live by when it comes to that special girl in your life. I know they may seem to be common knowledge to some, but they’re not to most. My aspiration is to teach you the severity of ingraining them into your heart at a young age.
1) Open doors for her, especially car doors. This was considered “old fashion” even when I was young. It might even be illegal by the time you’re of age! Always do it out of respect for her.
2) Bring her flowers/gifts/a card randomly. Money is not the point, but that it always comes from the heart.
3) Help with groceries or carrying anything for that matter. Don’t just ask, “ you got that?” Just step in and do it. This will at times include her purse… I know.. Just do it.
4) Be a man of your word. Don’t ever break a promise with an excuse. Always tell the truth, even if its something you think is insignificant and you think would cause an argument. Show her that you stand for truth and nobility in things big and small.
5) Everything she says is important, LISTEN to her! Have respect for her thoughts and opinions. Recognize her intelligence and strong points.
6) Communicate your thoughts, ideas, worries, feelings, etc to her. This is extremely critical! (Don’t worry, I’m going to do my best to teach you from the day you’re born to do so.)
7) If she is upset with you for any reason, its always YOUR fault!
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, because we are members of His body.
Now, if you’re truly loving her as Christ loves the church, she would have nothing to be upset over. Check yourself.
8) Compliment her with kind words often. When speaking to her of course, but also to others.
9) Avoid being jealous of her male friends, co-workers, classmates without good reason. If this is the girl that God has blessed you with, there’s nothing to be jealous about.
10) If she is ever upset with you for no reason… wait.. stop. If you think this is remotely possible you moved on without grasping the concept of number 7. Go back and read it again until you do.
Well son, this is just one of the many lessons I pray I’m able to teach you in your youth. This next part is in no way your responsibility, but if you want to do your poppa a favor. If you ever see me not following these rules, call me out. If you see me not open the car door for your mother.. call me out. If I’m sitting on the couch while she takes out the trash.. call me out. If your mother is upset with me and I have a blank expression with “what did I do?” written on my forehead.. Call me out on number 7! Haha!